Subject: Apologies for my own flamage (was Re: Support for ACLs)
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 17:06:57
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:

: We haven't even reached far enough into the discussion to determine the
: technical feasibility or impact of ACLs yet, and already people are trying
: to shoot the damned idea down with page-sized paragraphs that boil down to
: "I don't like the idea."  I feel quite justified in calling those "nonsense"
: and "rants."

Sigh.  I need a cold shower *fast*.  I'll refrain from NetBSD e-mail for the
rest of the evening.

Guys, I'm sorry for flying off the handle.  There have been a lot of this
kind of situation lately with ideas melting before they are fully thought
out.  These situations might be further aggravated thanks to lack of
structure on our (developers') part in formulating and executing new ideas.

Yes, I agree that adding ACLs in critical paths that's not removable is a
bad thing, and that ufs/ffs may not be the best place to provide the
functionality; I understand the involved issues.  I just got
disproportionately frustrated from seeing what appeared to be another useful
idea shot down before it was even fully described.

I'm very sorry for coming off this harsh and will now go get that cold
shower.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/