Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 16:10:58
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 12:08:33PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:
>
> : Take ffs, take something else, hack in ACLs, and use it as a separate
> : thing. don't stick it in the kernel's filesystem code that affects all
> : filesystems. I mentioned AFS because it is a filesystem scheme that
> : supports ACLs quite consistently
>
> The goal is to add ACL's to ffs filesystem only.  AFS is a completely
> different filesystem concept, and *unrelated* to this thread.

I do not think that this should be done.

I think that the correct solution to this problem, instead of a bag on the
side of *one* filesystem, is a filesystem layer that implements ACLs.  This
would add ACL support to all of our filesystems without needlessly bloating
the filesystem code used by people who don't want ACLs.