Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 10:46:39
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 01:26:14PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

 > You are making an unstated assumption in this argument: you are
 > assuming that the ACLified filesystem must be an entirely in-kernel
 > filesystem.  I said - am saying - I don't think it should be.

Well, there obviously needs to be some communication hook in the kernel.

David McNab, while he was at NASA, did an implementation using portalfs
(portalfs because it was good for rapid-prototyping).  I think his ideas
could be munged a bit into an "overlay fs", and the result would be pretty
cool.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>