Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 12:28:36
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:

: Since the talk is of ACLs specifically in FFS, why not copy the FFS
: support and fork off an ACL-ified FFS and keep it _separate_ from the
: plain FFS code. Think it through so that an ACL'ed FFS filesystem can be
: mounted by a kernel that does not support the ACLs.
: That's my .02 on it.

Um, this is precisely how a compile-time option works in the kernel.  You
don't want the support, you compile it out.  Easy.

We aren't going to fork ffs code for this purpose, unless we're creating a
whole new filesystem with a whole new layout.  That's beyond a nightmare
for maintenance... `duh'?

Please come back when you have a real technical reason for why ACLs will be
detrimental to ffs and/or NetBSD as a whole.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/