Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 12:20:10
> > Not that anyone gives a rat's patootie what I think, except a few other
> > nutcases who want NetBSD to remain (go back to being, actually) a BSD,
> > like greywolf and isildur.
>
> 	NetBSD is a BSD, its just not 4.4BSD. Then again 4.4BSD was not
> 	4.1BSD, and so on.
>
> 	Progress is always a double edged sword.

Increasing version numbers and creeping features do not necessarily imply
progress. It is almost invariably the case that the 'progerss' contoniues
on after the system reaches its optimal point, and then degrades into
rubble.

Since the talk is of ACLs specifically in FFS, why not copy the FFS
support and fork off an ACL-ified FFS and keep it _separate_ from the
plain FFS code. Think it through so that an ACL'ed FFS filesystem can be
mounted by a kernel that does not support the ACLs.
That's my .02 on it.

Isildur