Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 12:08:33
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:

: Take ffs, take something else, hack in ACLs, and use it as a separate
: thing. don't stick it in the kernel's filesystem code that affects all
: filesystems. I mentioned AFS because it is a filesystem scheme that
: supports ACLs quite consistently

The goal is to add ACL's to ffs filesystem only.  AFS is a completely
different filesystem concept, and *unrelated* to this thread.

: i do _not_ want to see ACLs in either FFS or in NetBSD itself.

Excessive whining won't make those of us who do find it useful jump ship.
ACLs in ffs won't ruin FFS or destroy the NetBSD kernel; there are existing
implementations out there which prove that.

Please leave your paranoia at home, and compile ACLs out of your kernel if
you don't want it.  I, among others, will see to it that ACLs remain
optional, as there are only some circumstances where they are useful.

: Not everyone will agree with me, but in my opinion, this is BSD, not the
: kitchen sink. Some things just don't belong in it.

This is not just BSD.  If you want just BSD, go install 4.4 or earlier from
UCB.  NetBSD is a continued evolution of BSD to account for changing
usefulness and needed features in real-life use, and it will continue to
evolve.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/