Subject: Re: Support for ACLs
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2001 16:55:49
On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Lord Isildur wrote:
> one of the fundamental ideas in the design of UNIX, which i think is
> every bit as relevant today as it was in the beginning, is that the UNIX
> filesystem does NOT have such compartmentalization and specialization of
> files, does NOT have semantic interpretation of files. A very important
> concept in UNIX is that files are just an arbitrary sequence of bytes.
> The system merely stores them. You can implement ACLs in a userland
> solution on top of UNIX, but please dont go putting interpretation of
> files into UNIX.

With this reasoning, the "traditional" permissions would not be
appropriate for the kernel either. Maybe we're forgetting that Unix is
supposed to be a multiuser operating system?

Maybe you should make yourself familiar with the unix permission system,
and then you'll understand that ACLs are just an extension to that?

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>