Subject: Re: Device Properties: The Next Generation
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2001 07:50:42
cgd@sibyte.com (Chris G. Demetriou) writes:
> One way to do (2) would be to provide a limited form of inheritance,
> like:
>
> 	parent			child		child child
> 	  | props	    props | props      props |
> 	  | for		     from | for         from |
> 	  | children	   parent | children  parent |
>
> where each | can be (perhaps "must be") a barrier that stops
> inheritance.

I thought about this some more last night, after I wrote my last
message.

In fact, in the long run, you also want the cfdata locators to be
properties.  (for instance, that's probably the best way to meet the
goal of getting string properties out of the config file...)

Which means that there's a place where you need properties lists, and
don't have a 'struct device' ... and so you're back to properties
lists as first class objects, separate from 'struct device'.

cgd