Subject: re: Linux pseudo pty
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2001 22:39:08
On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Greywolf wrote:

: # :    The ptmx emulation code could be ripped out of compat_svr4 and put into
: # :    compat/common with dependencies on either linux *or* svr4....
: # :
: # : no, it should become part of NetBSD proper.  we *want* UNIX98 ptys.
:
: Do we want the /dev/pts/.* garbage to replace the current naming scheme,
: or would it be possible to have a cloner coexist with the current
: /dev/tty.. scheme?

It can coexist.  Now, whether it should overlap the same device numberspace,
I'm not so sure.

Solaris, for instance, provides BSD-style (SunOS 4 compatibility) ptys named
/dev/[pt]typ[0-9] and so forth, but they aren't in the same device
numberspace, because the naming scheme is quite limited.  In the case of
/dev/pts having its own device space, you could have as many nodes as you
want (or even a kernel fs similar to fdesc), without worrying about running
out of letters.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/