Subject: Re: Linux pseudo pty
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2001 22:11:59
On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 03:52:12PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> That is what the code in svr4_net does. If you want to support ptmx, you
> can just steal the code, but it looks like the normal allocation will work
> since xterm falls back to scanning for a free pty.

Linux still support the old-style (BSD) ptys - these are on major
2(master)/major 3(slave).   Once you have a glibc without support for
old-style ttys it WILL fail.

> Right you need to make the major number for the pty to be the right one
> for the linux application... Suckage. on i386 it is 2; looks like on
> ppc it is 4.

No, 2 is (old) pty, 4 virtual console (and rs232 serial, but the minors
for that are higher).

	Christpoph

--
Whip me.  Beat me.  Make me maintain AIX.