Subject: Re: COMPAT_LINUX: why getpid() turned into a chown()?
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <p99dreyf@criens.u-psud.fr>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/30/2001 18:24:06
Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> I beleive I didn't understand very well what you suggested here. Why
> would Netscape or any Linux binary call sys_syscall, which does not
> exist on Linux?

Well, I though the syscall code got from

	code = frame->fixregs[0];

at line approx. powerpc/trap.c:174

That should at least tell if the syscall code matches getpid(2) or chown(2),
i.e. if the syscall number is passed correctly to kernel or not.

> syscall number zero returns ENOSYS on Linux. What problems could this
> cause?

Well, if Linux used something like our SYS___syscall trick, the padding
might cause troubles if not properly handled theoretically.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
"I am probably confused."