Subject: Re: Japanese with wscons?
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2001 16:32:58
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >Making the driver support ISO-2022 shouldn't be hard, but I'm worried
> >about reproduction of "Tower of Babel" in 21st century. For example
> >ISO-2022-JP and ISO-2022-KR are not compatible and can't used together
> >even though they use the same encoding method for representing characters.
> >EUC-JP and EUC-KR have the same problem, too. I'd like to see Japanese
> >and Korean (and many other languages as well) together on a screen.
>
>         when you would like to mix japanese and korean characters, you can
>         either use iso-2022-jp-2 (RFC1554), or X11 ctext.
>         we can use the single code to handle all the iso-2022 variants.
>         see pkgsrc/x11/kterm, or pkgsrc/editors/nvi-m17n.  it is not a
>         tower of babel.  we have been doing it and is not hard.

A serious problem with ISO-2022 is that every country should agree to adopt
it as the national standard but it's not likely in the near future. In
Korea, ISO-2022-KR has been obsoleted by EUC-KR and nobody is actually
using it nowadays.

We might need to invent a new universal coding standard to replace
Unicode. :)

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>