Subject: Re: proposed mods to config(8) and the kernel build process
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/11/2000 16:31:21
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Greywolf wrote:

: # : a) Add `-DKERNEL_foo' to the IDENT line, where `foo' is the kernel
: # :    config file name. I would find this useful when I'm adding hacks
: # :    or debugs for a specific machine which has its own config file
: # :    (e.g, my laptop with semi-borken APM), so I can wrap system
: # :    specific code with #ifdef KERNEL_foo
: #
: # Be aware that config(8) can config kernels by a method other than "filename
: # == kernelname" -- you can also create a directory with a file called CONFIG
: # in it (usually with a "source /sys" directive in it) and just run config(8).
: # I do this all the time to build kernels completely outside of the syssrc
: # tree.  In this case, the kernelname should probably be taken from the last
: # directory component.
:
: Am I reading this right?  I think you might be answering the wrong question,
: here.  "kernelname" typically == "netbsd", while "filename" usually ==
: "MACHINE_NAME_IN_CAPS" or some other moniker.  So, yes, you're right, the
: two differ. :-).

By "kernelname", I mean the kernel configuration identifier Luke wants to
use in -DKERNEL_foo -- which he says is the "kernel config file name", but
that is not always the case.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/