Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/01/2000 21:31:48
On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:54:32AM +0200, Steve Woodford wrote:
>
>  > Only try to attach those devices which have been configured
>  > in the kernel config file.
>
> This is wrong.  You should always attempt to attach devices, even
> if they're not configured, so that the "foo at bar not configured"
> messages will appear.

Yah, I went through a phase of trying to trim as much excess bloat as
possible out of the kernel after seeing how much bigger the recent
-current snapshot was. (Ok, so it's only a matter of a few bytes, but I
was "in the mood" ;-).

Generic kernels will still print "not configured" if devices are not
present, but if someone leaves out support for a device in a kernel of
there own, it doesn't make much sense telling them they left it out IMO.

Cheers, Steve