Subject: Re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/29/2000 02:10:45
# The race saved by getfh() I think causes kernel resources to be
# consumed.  The getfh call locks the leaf and leaving it locked on
# return to userland seems to be dangerous to me.

...it locks the leaf?  Really?

...so how does a news server that uses getfh() on all those inodes,
doing its own caching routines avoid panicking the kernel?

I don't necessarily doubt you, but I'm rather surprised that it
locks the node; after all fhstat() will fail if the file referred
to by the handle gets mysteriously unlink()ed.

# Warner
				--*greywolf;
--
Microshaft:  Where do you want to crash today?