Subject: Re: Addition to force open to open only regular files
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/29/2000 14:19:35
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > There are two reasons.  First, we have no knowledge of the saved uid
> > in userland.  There's no way to know what it is.
>
> Why don't we just add a getsid(&uid_t, &gid_t) syscall?

The sv{u,g}id isn't saved in the kern.proc sysctl - should it be?  I
still think a getsid() syscall (with a different name - getsid() is
already used to get the session id) would be needed as the kern.proc
sysctl is relatively heavy weight.  Although another sysctl to just
return the saved uid/gid in a libc wrapper would save adding another
system call.

Simon.
NetBSD Sales, Support and Service:  http://www.wasabisystems.com/