Subject: Re: LKMs
To: Al Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Ben Elliston <bje@air.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/25/2000 13:48:29
   What is the intended future of LKMs? I see that there are changes
   afoot in -current to try to enable emulations to be loaded as LKMs,
   but are there any plans to try to actually move stuff out of the
   kernel and into LKMs instead?

   It would probably be a Good Thing if more kernel reconfiguration could
   be done without having to recompile the thing.

As a youngster, I used to dream about tiny Linux kernel distributions with
loadable kernel modules available separately. :-)  Unfortunately, this still
doesn't happen -- I hope that if this direction was persued, that NetBSD
could Get It Right.

Ben