Subject: Re: System chassis gadgets driver
To: NetBSD Kernel list <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2000 17:07:33
In message <20001117023126.C10596@gnyf.wheel.dk>, Soren writes:

-> Some sort of interface for the '2 by 16 or so character display with
-> a handful of buttons' style of panel would be nice, however..

It definitely would.  I've got such a device in my gateway box on the home
net and I've got a little shim driver that does a stupid approximation of a
tty (and handles some simple control characters) so with a stupid termcap/
terminfo entry I can run curses-based apps to it [obviously with a 2x16 or
even a 2x20 display, there's only so much that's worth doing, but I've got
a on-idle clock display and some simple administrative options like shutdown
and rebooot].

It would be nice to have a lot of that abstracted away in a common inter-
face (maybe including a generic termcap/terminfo entry), so the same little
app could run on my display as on other folks' with different machines.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net