Subject: Re: Any plans for wscons/rcons graphics library?
To: None <ajv@greebo.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/17/2000 00:29:13
Andrew van der Stock writes:
> I would suggest providing compatibility with stuff that's on other
> platforms. That way you can get stuff like GGI or similar (svgalib) ported
> relatively quickly. Done well, that would allow some Linux games to work in
> Linux compatibility mode.

True, but it might be enough to have a subset in the kernel, and the rest
in a userland library.

> Saying that, if XFree86's broke, fix it. FreeBSD has a preliminary port of
> DRI, against which most games that I'm aware of are being ported to (Loki is
> busy making this work).

Personally I'm most interested in "not X" applications like MicroWindows
and Qt/Embedded.  I think NetBSD is a fantastic platform for settop boxes
and similar devices where X is probably too much.

-Andrew