Subject: Re: ffs panic with 1.5C (19/11/2000)
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/2000 22:54:43
    Date:        Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:36:14 +1030 (CST)
    From:        blymn@baesystems.com.au (Brett Lymn)

  | Once upon a time I did have an algorithm that was supposed to
  | thoroughly test out DRAM, it was supposed to be based on the device
  | characteristics so it could pick up DRAM type faults.  I can try and
  | dig up a copy if anyone is interested.

That's what is needed for RAM tests that are both to actually work,
and actually complete in less than eternity.

Unfortunately, such a test tests based upon the assumptions of the
device characteristics, and hence only works for that particular
device (both the characteristics of the ram chips, and the way they're
interconnected in he simm/dimm matter).

This is why good general purpose memory tests are largely a myth.

kre