Subject: Re: Constraining process CPU %time
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/01/2000 12:14:45
On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 10:12:43PM -0500, David Maxwell wrote:

> This question came up from a visitor to the NetBSD booth at Linux Expo
> Toronto today. (We have no net connection at the show)
>
> Is there any way to specify that a process should receive no more than
> x% (say x==25) of available CPU time? He would like to use a limitation
> of this sort in order to perform some clustering performance tests.

What you're describing is often described as "fair share" scheduling.
There are a number of algorithms that do what you want, but the existing
scheduler -- which works very well in the vast majority of cases -- would
need to be ripped out and replaced with one of them, or at least modularized
in a way which might make it slower.

Thor