Subject: Re: emuldata addition
To: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/31/2000 12:18:31
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:
> matthew green wrote:
> > forgive me for coming into this discussion late, but wasn't it the Ulti=
mate
> > Plan to actually *get rid of* struct emul?  it's been several years but=
 i'm
> > sure i saw someone post about the steps required for this once.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/1997/03/05/0006.html

  Emuldata is not in struct emul, though, it is in struct proc and is a
different issue.  It is necessary even if struct emul goes away.

> Maybe what was really though of was getting rid of _aout and _elf distinc=
tion
> within emulation struct, so that any emulation would have only single
> emul struct. Support for binary formats would be in some
> dependant structures.

  That is part of it, but also to make a single separate syscall entry
point for each emulation to avoid the current mess of #ifdefs in MD trap.c
or syscall.c.  Those two things combined leave only three things in struct
emul (name, signal handler, syscall handler) which can be put in struct
proc.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net