Subject: Re: md_root.c (Re: CVS commit: syssrc)
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
From: Wayne Knowles <w.knowles@niwa.cri.nz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/2000 15:27:11
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Leo Weppelman wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 09:53:59AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 05:45:54PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> >
> >  > 	atari version is in a different universe, other than that the
> >  > 	differences are:
> >  > 	    - md_root_size int vs u_int32_t
> >  > 	    - different default MINIROOTSIZE
> >  > 	    - format of size printfs
> >  > 	    - comments, whitespace
> >  >
> >  > 	Sounds like a very good case to make it MI (except for atari :)
> >
> > Atari should conform :-)
>
> Mmmm, I wouldn't be so fast on that (surprise ;-). I haven't really looked
> into it yet, but:
>     - The md_root.c idea was especially created to _allow_ for differences.
>       It would be weird to press conformation upon those who differ in
>       this situation.
>     - There was discussion at the point that the md-device came into
>       existence. I'd like to read that first before (possibly) starting
>       the same discussion all over again.

Would it not be possible to place the _common case_ version of md_root.c
into the MI directories.  Those architectures which require a slightly
different implentation continue to use their existing MD versions.

The files.${ARCH} file can point to the MI or MD version on a case by case
basis.  Maintaining 20+ copies of the same file for the sake of 1 or 2
exceptions may not be the best solution...

Wayne (who has just added another common case example to the tree...)