Subject: Re: Linux emulation (uname)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Pinnock <C.J.E.Pinnock@qmw.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/2000 18:16:28
On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 01:04:43AM -0400, Allen Briggs wrote:
> I'm fooling around some with the Linux emulation and some larger
> commercial applications.  I'm currently running 1.4ZD and trying
> Corel Photo Paint 9.0.  The installer for this package does some
> stuff and then says:
>
> "Error: Kernel version 2.2 (or higher) is required to use this
>  application.  Please refer to your Linux vendor for instructions
>  on upgrading your kernel."

This is a problem I came across yesterday when trying to get MAPLE V
to run on my NetBSD laptop. A script in the installation uses
uname -a and of course barfs when it sees something not in its
list of supported platforms.

Of course, in this case it was easy to change the script and
fake it that my machine was running Linux.

But a general solution might be to have a shell implementation
of uname which returns the "right values" when called with
flags.

(Incidently, MAPLE V works fine. Will try VI when I get my hands on
it).

--
Chris