Subject: Re: bufpages calculation
To: None <abs@netbsd.org,tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/2000 12:22:48
In article <Pine.NEB.4.21.0009261904010.276-100000@odysseus.mono.org> you write:
>On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>	Currently we calculate bufpages based on physmem. Is uvmexp.free
>	valid at that point - if so would it make more sense to calculate
>	buffers based on that?

It looks like bufpages is currently set in allocsys(), which is called quite
early on some architectures.  arm26 and alpha certainly call it long before
UVM is initialised.  There's no reason for bufpages to be set this early,
though (since actually allocating them needs UVM to be up), so it should
perhaps go somewhere else.  main() seems like the obvious place to me.

>	(I'm assuming UBC will change all the variables here, but for
>	now...)

I'm certainly hoping that UBC will make juggling memory on small machines a
little less painful.