Subject: Re: bufpages calculation
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2000 15:30:46

At 07:11 PM 9/26/00 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
 > But kernels were much smaller then.

Hello tech-kern,

Not to pick on Bill or David here, but one of the nice things about NetBSD
(vs everything else out there) is that it is wonderfully cross platform.
Hence I get a bit worried when systems with 4MB are looked upon fondly as
ancient relics. When I contemplate deploying systems _today_ that have 4MB
or less of main memory. I don't like to hear, "A 2MB system is too small to
support UNIX." when certainly versions of UNIX have and do run on such
systems (even PDP-11's for heavens sake!)

This is a very distinguishing factor that certainly the Linux community has
embraced (only used as an example of another group where cross platform is
a stated goal) and we should keep it in mind as well. Sure 64MB Pentium
systems are about $30 at GoodWill but the world isn't defined by such things.

--Chuck