Subject: Linux emulation (uname)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/26/2000 01:04:43
I'm fooling around some with the Linux emulation and some larger
commercial applications.  I'm currently running 1.4ZD and trying
Corel Photo Paint 9.0.  The installer for this package does some
stuff and then says:

"Error: Kernel version 2.2 (or higher) is required to use this
 application.  Please refer to your Linux vendor for instructions
 on upgrading your kernel."

I don't know what features it needs from a 2.2 kernel or if NetBSD
supports them in emulation.  To find out, I need to get past the
installation.  I'd like to try to fake out the installer, but I'd
rather not change my NetBSD system version number, of course, and
I'd like to make a package out of this if it works.

Has anyone else run into this?  Anyone have any suggestions?
A writable kern.emul.linux.osrelease that defaults to kern.osrelease ?  ;-)
Or should the osrelease returned there correspond to the actual level
of Linux OS support that we provide in the kernel (instead of reporting
the NetBSD OS release--which seems a little more than kind of bogus).

-allen