Subject: Re: mips handling of SIGSEGV and SIGBUS.
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/25/2000 16:49:27
On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 11:32:45AM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

 > For misaligned or kseg accesses, and for accesses which cause the cpu
 > to be signaled with a bus error, the user process is given a SIGSEGV.
 >
 > For TLB misses (other than those which resolve to
 > KERN_RESOURCE_SHORTAGE and get the process killed), if
 > KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE then a SIGBUS is given, otherwise a SIGSEGV is
 > given.

The SVR4 ABI MIPS supplementary document specifies the signals to be
delivered for various traps.  I don't know if anyone modified our code
to follw that guide, but I agree with your conclusion, but would like
to point out that SVR4 ABI compatibility might be an issue.  I'll dig
my copy of that document and report back here.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>