Subject: Re: Where/how is rootvp set in kernel initialisation?
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/2000 12:47:38
Jason R. Thorpe commented:
> libsa can already support multiple file systems.  It already works with
> FFS and LFS.

	The version I am using (syssrc tarball from the 1.4 release?)
seems to only have ufs.c & ufs.h

>  > 2) If I ever get this stuff to work nicely on a 68k Mac, it can also
>  >    be used in the utilities that have to write to the filesystems
>  >    (the Installer) or newfs them (MkFs)
>
> The "Install from MacOS" tools should really die, actually.

	That would be the simplest solution, but I think that there
are advantages to keeping them, too:

* I like having variety and choice, and it seems, so do some
  of the other Unixes (e.g. Graphical installer for LinuxPPC,
  the popularity of BootX over Open Firmware or yaboot)

* I remember that it was a lot easier, as a first-time installer on
  an unsupported machine, to use MacOS based tools, rather than the
  alternative, which would have been a hang with the install kernel

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au | "Reality is that which,   |
|   Telstra NW-D, Sydney, Australia.    |  when you stop believing  |