Subject: Re: swapctl -a doesn't do load-balancing; whyzzat?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/2000 15:37:31
On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 09:23:29AM +1100, Robert Elz wrote:

 > The only place I had excess space on the system concerned was via NFS, so
 > I made myself a nice huge swap file out there, and enabled swapping.
 > Almost before I could think, the system (which was paging its little head off
 > of course - that's why everything was taking so long in the first place)
 > had started moving all kinds of stuff from the local disc out to NFS
 > swapping, which didn't improve its performance of course...   (And yes, I
 > had managed to forget to set the swap priority, so the NFS swap space
 > had defaulted to being equivalent to the local disc).

The "migration" effect is probably the result of things being brought
back in, the objects being deleted, and new ones being created, and
thus pushed back out.

As far as I know, once an object/offset or amap/offset has a swap slot
assigned to it, the swap slot persists until the swap device is invalidated
via swapctl -d.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>