Subject: ATAPI ioctls
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/18/2000 00:23:11
	I have read http://people.freebsd.org/~luoqi/ (a freebsd patch to add
	ioctl to allow command code 0xbe (READ_CD - LBA raw disk access)
	to ATAPI CD, with any content type).
	the patch includes Linux emulation support for raw ATAPI CD read,
	which enables mpegtv (pkgsrc/graphics/mtv) to play Video CDs!

	I love to see mpegtv to play Video CD on my notebook.  I'm rather
	novice about the direction NetBSD ATAPI driver is taking.  so I have
	couple of questions about overall plan about NetBSD ATAPI driver in
	the future:
	- NetBSD lacks couple of ioctls freebsd has.  what is the right way
	  to address these?  (1) add those ioctls into NetBSD ATAPI driver.
	  (2) no, NetBSD ATAPI driver has some specific design goal, so
	  implement it in sys/compat/freebsd by using SCIOCCOMMAND.
	- Similarly, what should I do if I would to add the linux ioctl
	  mpegtv want?  (1) add enough underlying layer into NetBSD ATAPI
	  driver, and then add a shim into linux emulation.  (2) do the whole
	  thing in linux emulation side.
	once i have more clear picture about where it is going, i may be
	able to do something about Video CD support...  thanks.

itojun