Subject: Re: eap(4) and ess(4) and mixer volume values
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/16/2000 10:57:23
On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 08:46:41AM +0100, Steve Woodford wrote:
> The "realplayer" package (and any other Linux binary using OSS audio
> under emulation) uses the kernel's OSS compat code.

That's what I guessed.

> See sys/compat/ossaudio.

But I didn't find the kernel sources where the conversion is done. Thanks
for the hint.

> I haven't look at it in any detail, but if it's broken in the same way as
> the OSS library, I suggest you go ahead and fix it in the same way.

That's not so easy. The fix is to use floating point values for the
intermediary result. And I can't do that of course inside the kernel.

> I definately agree that the best place to fix this is in the OSS goop.

It is because it solves the problem at a single place - well, two places -
and doesn't require changes to all audio drivers.

> The `rounding' that takes place following a "mixerctl -w" provides useful
> feedback as to the granularity of the mixer's gain registers.

I agree completely.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                            http://www.sighardstrasse.de/~tron/