Subject: Re: automatically generating kernel config files
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/09/2000 22:20:55
> The files I made are at http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/sedconf.tgz, extract in
> your /sys/arch/i386/config dir and type:
> 	make -f Makefile.config
> to generate both INSTALL and INSTALL_LAPTOP.
>
> What's people's opinion on this?

I like the concept. If it can also assist in moving to MI includes for MI
devices, so we don't have to run around updating arch/*/conf/* so often,
that would be very nice.

Another application I could find for this type of machinery: auto-sizing
the MINIROOTSIZE of a ramdisk kernel. I'm still plotting to devise some
build goo that will put together md0a ramdisks, then re-config and rebuild
the necessary kernels with the right size. I know I can always use sed,
but it seems cleaner to use:

	make -f Makefile.config MINIROOTSIZE=${minirootsize}

And have that automatically inserted into the various INSTALL kernels.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com