Subject: "1.5E": kernel printf no longer supports %b
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/08/2000 23:23:00
As of right now, in the trunk (not 1.5 branch), the kernel printf functions
(printf, log, and so forth) no longer accept %b in the format string (nor
the no longer used ddb-specific format strings).  I have changed the
prototypes of affected functions to use the standard gcc "printf" attribute
instead of "kprintf", and removed the __KPRINTF_ATTRIBUTE__ logic in
sys/sys/cdefs.h.

All code wishing to use bitmask printing must format the bitmask into a
buffer using bitmask_snprintf(9) (now in its own manpage), and put that
buffer into the string with %s.

Note that, though it's not currently used, the %b format was NOT removed
from the libsa printf().  The formatting strings for libsa are not checked,
so I didn't bother to add more code to an already-stripped-down printf by
supplanting that version.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/