Subject: Re: wsdisplay, max no of screens
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/04/2000 09:54:45
On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 09:27:30PM -0700, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> However, I don't think you should kill WSDISPLAY_DEFAULTSCREENS. That is
> the number of screens allocated at bootup time; they are not reconfigurable.
> Plus they chew up memory -- and the 1.5 i386 GENERIC kernel is already bloat
> city. Please don't make it worse without good reason.

Tell me about it.

The GENERIC 1.4Z i386 kernel leaves 2.5 megs of memory for user programs
out of the 8 that I have. A compile of a new kernel took just over a month.
My new kernel left over 5 megs of memory, and a kernel compile in that much
memory took less than 2 days.

Is there any chance of a i386 GENERIC_SMALL kernel perhaps?

 "Good grief, I've just noticed I've typed in a rant. Sorry chaps!"
                            Keir Finlow Bates, circa 1998