Subject: Re: New mount flag: `usergid', comments
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/01/2000 20:12:20
On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:52:31AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> This is up for comment only because nfs is a special case.  At the moment,
> nfs uses the server's semantics for file creation.  Because nfs is also
> governed by quotas on the remote machine, I'd be inclined _not_ to implement
> support for overriding that behavior, using "the server knows what's best
> for the server" as argument.  On the flip side, if this is implemented for
> nfs, there should be a separate, nfs-specific mount option that says "honor
> the client's gid semantics setting", required in tandem with [no]usergid.

The NFS mount option should be called "grpid". This option is mentioned
by this name in the (X)NFS specification, and other vendors use that name,
so we should be compatible with that. It should be implemented, and
I have been pushed to do so, but did not get around to it so far.

There are a few other NFS attributes that need to be done, such as
acregmin, etc.

- Frank