Subject: RB_DFLTROOT any good ?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír Doleček <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/29/2000 14:39:50
Hi,
that boot flag is settable on couple of architectures (i386, arc,
bebox, hpcmips, mvme68k, newmips, pc532, pmax, prep, sparc, sparc64).
On i386, it's settable via -r flag to boot.

It seems it's not referenced anywhere, so it's write-only flag. At
least grep thought sys/*.[cSs] didn't reveal any place where it's
value would be read.

Unless someone would have any good reason to keep it, I'd like to
remove that flag from the affected port's boot blocks. For backwards
compatibility, the flag would be kept allocated, but renamed
to __RB_DFLTROOT in sys/reboot.h and marked as obsolete in
comment. I'm also not sure what the OSF1_RB_DFLTROOT definition
in <compat/osf1/osf1.h> is for, but I'm not going to touch that.

Any arguments for not removing that boot flag ?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@