Subject: Re: ddb line number support for ELF
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: ITOH Yasufumi <itohy@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/2000 15:04:51
In article <200007271356.JAA15268@multics.mit.edu>
jhawk@MIT.EDU writes:

> Yup, understood. The current loading algorithm is:
>
>      Load the phdr stuff
>      Check if there's a symtab
>        If so, load all symtabs and strtabs

Hmm, it seems you have changed the interface to pass ELF symbols....
My boot loader can't pass symbols to the kernel now, since it doesn't
use the algorithm....  It excludes shstrtab since it wasn't used.

I'm not saying that you should revert the changes, but
will you please document the specification of the interface?
A spec like "code is the spec" will easily be broken.

Fortunately, the boot loader has not been released,
and nobody is affected (besides me :).
I'll fix it before release.

Thanks,
--