Subject: RDTSC based microtime?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jesse Off <joff@gci-net.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/27/2000 22:53:05
So is there a plan to use a Pentium RDTSC based version of microtime?  I
ask because I happen to unfortunate enough to own a machine with a broken
8254 LATCH (MediaGX) so gettimeofday() sometimes goes forward and backward
in time up to a clock tick.  Plus, the extra resolution and quicker
execution by not using IO from using RDTSC could be nice in the certain
commercial application I am porting.  I understand that using RDTSC
may not be nice for variable clock rate CPUs.  Is this the reason its been
out of the kernel thus far or has just been because of lack of volunteers
willing to do the work?

//Jesse Off