Subject: Re: Adding bootverbose
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/23/2000 11:12:59
On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 11:49:24PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:

 > AFAIK the kernel does not store the locators anywhere - they are
 > printed out by the driver but that is it.  _If_ the locators were
 > stored in kernel (ala the locator names) then I would happily use
 > them.  I consider parsing dmesg output an ugly hack at best.

Locators are difficult to store when you consider cloned devices.  The
locator is "-1" :-).

I suppose the device structure could be changed to get an
"int *dv_loc" that is allocated when the device is attached
and filled in by the parent once the child has finished attaching
(that's the only way to fill in the correct locators).

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>