Subject: Re: IrDA
To: John Franklin <franklin@elfie.org>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2000 21:39:09
John Franklin wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 09:19:57PM +0200, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> > The kernel drivers will be split into two levels, one for the chip
> > level and one for the common API (much like the audio driver).
> > So you could have, e.g.,
> >   oboe0 at pci0
> >   irda0 at oboe0
> >   smc0 at isa0
> >   irda1 at smc0
>
> I can see having transparent com* support as being a big plus.  I
> don't know much on the technical side of IrDA, so I'm not sure if
>
>         irdacomm0 at irda1
>         com0 at irdacomm0
>
> would be the best way or if it could be a direct
>
>         com0 at irda1

We've been discussing these things.  Something like this can certainly be
done, but it's not entirely clear exactly how.  (One problem is that IrDA
attachments are very transient; they can come and go easily.  Should the
device persist or not?)

For now the idea is to have it all in userland and allocate a pty for IrComm
devices.  As things progress we can migrate things into the kernel.

--

        -- Lennart