Subject: Re: Cloning bdev/cdev devices, step one
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/11/2000 19:00:05
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> In Solaris, IIRC, the devfs is actually /devices, and /dev/... are
> symlinks to /devices/...  I seem to recall that the /devices nodes
> have strict permissions, and the /dev symlinks have permissions that
> override the permissions of the target ... or something.

Solaris (as of 2.8 and likely to continue for the forseeable future) does
not have a devfs.  What it has is a series of programs, scripts, and
configuration files that extract the device tree from the kernel, store it
in configuration files, and then generate a set of device nodes and
symbolic links.  The eventual goal is to have a true devfs, but that may
take another decade to complete.

Eduardo Horvath