Subject: Re: Cloning bdev/cdev devices, step one
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/11/2000 17:58:45
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 01:33:26PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>  > Uhm, how is it kludgy? Hasn't it been that all unix has needed to
>  > represent/specify a device has been is the dev_t? I mean, hasn't it been
>  > that that's been the canonical specifier? :-) If dev_t is the canonical
>  > specifier, how is using dev_t in the kernle a kludge? :-)
>
> Not necessarily... in e.g. a devfs type file system, the vnode itself
> *is* the representation of the device in the file system.

Hmmm... I'm thinking of the times I've built device nodes outside of /dev,
and think we'd still need some of the devices to have static majors. But I
think the ones which would be bulit outside of /dev are just things like
/dev/console or /dev/null equivalents - things which aren't why we are
wanting a devfs.

Take care,

Bill