Subject: Re: 8-space indents considered harmful
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2000 11:08:30
On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 05:51:46PM -0500, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 100, Darren Reed wrote:
>
> > What about 6 spaces for indents ?  Why this power of two thing ? :)
>
>   Powers of two just have a calming effect on the mind.  Long live POT!

Uhm... 8 is nice because it is the default tab value, so it is easy to
create it.

No other power of two has this property, so I don't see why 4 should be
preferred over 6 or 5, _if_ you want to change it.

I, personally, would prefer to keep the 8/4 rule. Although I sometimes
run myself into level 3 indent with long expressions/function calls that
can't be avoided, so I wouldn't oppose a decision to use maybe 6. Definitely
not 4 or two.

	-is
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of