Subject: Re: Mount permissions
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2000 15:43:35
> >This would allow one to have a group of users authorised to mount
> >things in a standard location. Floppy disks, cdroms, and other removable
> >media are obvious candidates. This seems to be the linux does it.
>
> Which to some people raises a concern the idea is not very well
> thought-out.

Erm, `mount /dev/blah /tmp` ?  (Although I've just been told that the
directory has to be empty and with no open files in it.)

> Specially if the policy is "the person logged into the console can
> mount a floppy".
> That's how I recall SunOS 4 doing it. It was great for lab setups, but
> it may have been a local hack.

/etc/fbtab -

     The /etc/fbtab file contains information  that  is  used  by
     login(1),  getty(8) and the window system (for example, sun-
     view(1)) to change the owner, group, and permissions of win-
     dow  system  devices  upon  logging into or out of a console
     device.
     The owner and group of the devices listed in /etc/fbtab  are
     set  to the owner and group of the console.  The permissions
     are set as specified  in  /etc/fbtab.

Simple to replicate using xdm.  Not so simple otherwise.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/