Subject: RE: a new KNF (and some comments)
To: , <tech-misc@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/21/2000 06:25:14
Just some random questions:

>  * ANSI function declarations for private functions (i.e.
> functions not used
>  * elsewhere) go at the top of the source module.  Only the
> kernel has a name
>  * associated with the types.  I.e. in the kernel use:
>  *	void function(int a);
>  * in user-land use:
>  *	void function(int);

Why are there two different versions? I think this is a bad think (TM) in
itself. We may allow both styles, but if we rule we should rule.

Dependend on the context I find anonymouse parameters anoying. How should
you know wich one is the "flag" parameter if you pass four ints to a
function? Maybe I'm too much used to developement tools where you see the
function prototype as a tooltip in the text editor as soon as you type the
openening paranethesis after the function name.

> /*
>  * The function type must be declared on a line by itself
>  * preceeding the function.
>  */
> static char *
> function(int a1, int a2, float fl, int a4)

This doesn't allow inline documentation of the parameters either. Shouldn't

static char *
function(
	float fl,	/* .... */

be an option?