Subject: Re: proposed new KNF [was Re: Time to update KNF?]
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2000 13:31:37
> However, has has previously been noted, _t is in the implementation
> namespace for at least one standard.

What, all instances of _t?   That's pretty stupid, since everybody and
their brother uses _t.   :'}

> My personal preference is to not _ever_ typedef something that's not a
> basic type, i.e. if it's a struct or a union, talk about it that way,
> so that you've got a bit more of a clue what it is.  however, that's
> not based on much, and i recognize that that can serious bite when
> you're trying to create an API so i don't stick to it religiously.
> 8-)

I go back and forth.   Typedefing makes the code more readable
sometimes, and also reduces the amount you have to type.   OTOH, it
can also make the code more opaque.   It's a bit of a judgement call.

			       _MelloN_