Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2000 16:57:15
>This from Code Complete, Steve McConnel, Microsoft Press, pp 409-401:

>"Subjects scored 20 to 30 percent higher on a test of comprehension when
> programs had a two-to-four-spaces indentation scheme than they did when
> programs had no indentation at all.

That's a bit like saying "given the choice between ``a poke in the eye''
an ``a bullet in the head'' 80% of respondents chose ``a poke in the eye''"

You can get a survey to return any answer you like by posing the questions
approprately.  Viewers of "Yes [Prime] Minister" will know all about that :-)

I used to use two spaces, but have used TABs (at 8 spaces naturally)
for many years and find it better - for many of the reasons that Paul Vixie
cited.  Emacs can generate almost any sane layout style automagically
so I'm not particularly fussed - but I suspect 2 is a bad idea.

Regardless don't base any decisions on possibly flawed statistics.

--sjg