Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2000 23:12:46
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >This from Code Complete, Steve McConnell, Microsoft Press, pp 409-401:

> so I'm not particularly fussed - but I suspect 2 is a bad idea.

> Regardless don't base any decisions on possibly flawed statistics.
>
> --sjg

Do please note that this excerpt in Code Complete is summarizing
Richard J. Miaria, et al in the 1983 "Program Indentation and
Comprehensibility" article in Communications of the ACM 16, no 11 (Nov).

Last I heard, CACM was a reviewed journal, well-respected in the field.

I'm all for not basing decisions on possibly flawed statistics, but I
believe basing decisions on refereed CACM articles is superior to not
having any research to back up a point of view at all.

I think the Bottom Line is: 8-space tabs produces less comprehensible code
by 20% to 30% compared with the same code indented 2 to 4 spaces.

If somebody has factual data that refutes the conclusion of the CACM article,
then please bring it forth!

Else, I believe, regardless of our collective prejudices, the facts remain.

-Mike