Subject: Re: Time to update KNF?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Paul A Vixie <vixie@mibh.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2000 16:48:28
> Second, on readability and comprehensibility, I find two spaces is
> simply too little. Try reading glibc code sometime; two spaces is just
> not enough.  _If_ we decide to change, and M$ data says four spaces
> are as legible as two, I put in a strong plea for four.

fwiw, ISC nominally uses 8.  this puts a horizontal complexity limit on
nested constructs, which squeezes functions toward more vertical length,
which then causes them to get chopped up into discrete compilation units.
all in all, 8 has been very good at keeping me, personally, from writing
worse code than i would have.

and from looking at glibc, i think it would probably help others as well.